“I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.”
– Princess Elizabeth, later Queen Elizabeth II, on her 21st Birthday –
Today, Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, turns 90 years old. How will she celebrate? A walk-about and lunch with President Barack Obama, along with lighting the first of 1000 bonfires to commemorate her 90 years, awaits Her Majesty. In other words, the Queen will continue to fulfill her promise to her subjects. Today, like any other throughout her long reign, will be a day in service to the realm.
How will Queenanneboleyn.com honor Her Majesty? Well, like any other day here on the website, we will make an attempt to educate and entertain our browsers. So, within that spirit, here are several “fun facts” about Queen Elizabeth II:
1. Folks, this is a Tudor Era themed website, so it will interest our members and regular browsers to know that Her Majesty is not only a direct descendant of Mary Boleyn Carey Stafford, sister of Queen Anne Boleyn, but rumor has it she may also be a direct descendant of Thomas Cromwell, 1st Earl of Essex through her mother’s lineage. Gregory wasn’t so dumb after all.
2. We are very fortunate Her Majesty is with us and that the Queen Mum graced the realm for so many years. In an age where such surgery was very complex and risky, Queen Elizabeth II was born by cesarean section.
3. Like Queen Anne Boleyn did before her, Her Majesty speaks fluent French.
4. Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, and Bernie Sanders are competing to become the 13th President of the United States to hold office since the Queen’s ascension to the throne.
5. Are you a friend or follower of the Queen? She joined Facebook in February 2010.
6. Just how committed is the Defender of the Faith? Pope Francis is the seventh pontiff to lead the world’s Roman Catholic Church while Her Majesty has reigned as Queen of England.
7. Her Majesty is a generous and thoughtful boss. She selects personalized Christmas gifts for all of her staff, including gifting over 90,000 Christmas puddings.
8. There are some very lucky English subjects out there. Thirty call the Queen their godmother.
9. With everyone debating whether a surviving portrait of Queen Anne Boleyn exists, there are at least 130 portraits of Queen Elizabeth II!
10. Write this down for your next game of Trivial Pursuit. Queen Elizabeth II is the first British monarch to visit China.
11. The Queen’s crown is certainly Imperial. Not only is she a monarch of a Commonwealth of Nations, but Her Majesty left a message for those who may someday venture to the moon.
12. Read, mark, learn and inwardly digest. Justin Welby is the Queen’s seventh Archbishop of Canterbury.
13. Secretary Hillary Clinton has nothing over the Queen regarding her access to the world wide web. Her Majesty sent her first email in 1976.
14. Everyone knows the Queen loves corgis. How many have shared their home with her? At last count, Her Majesty has included at least thirty corgis and four dorgis in her family. What is a dorgi? A new dog breed Her Majesty created.
15. Caroline Kennedy loved her pony, Macaroni, but not as much Princess Elizabeth loved her Shetland pony, Peggy.
16. There is the great Triple Crown-winning racehorse American Pharoah, and then there are the horses Her Majesty breeds at the royal studs. They are spectacular. The Queen’s horses won races at Royal Ascot on a number of occasions, four winners during Ascot week 1957 alone.
17. You know nothing, Jon Snow. Though Her Majesty visited the Iron Throne in Game of Thrones, she resisted the urge to sit upon it.
18. Salute! Queen Elizabeth II is Great Britain’s first and only female royal to serve in the military.
19. Do you have a flat tire on your car or truck? No problem, Her Majesty knows how to change it. Spark plugs are no challenge for her, either.
20. During World War II, the Queen and her sister Princess Margaret lived at Windsor Castle, where the royal jewels were hidden in the castle dungeons stored in hat boxes.
21. Step aside, Thomas Cranmer and King Edward VI. Queen Elizabeth II will be the last reigning monarch to be “home schooled”, her religious education provided by the Archbishop of Canterbury.
22. The ultimate letter writer, Her Majesty has answered over 3.5 million, yes million, items of correspondence. Britons married 60 years or celebrating their 100th birthdays receive a personalized telegram.
23. Awwwwwwwwww, how cute is this? Prince George of Cambridge calls Her Majesty “Gan Gan”. I would not suggest trying this title yourself.
24. Need change for a ten-pound note? If asking the Queen, she will only be able to oblige on Sunday, the only day she carries cash. The Church of England exempts no one.
25. Anyone have an umbrella handy? It poured buckets the day of Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation.
26. Maundy Thursday was expensive this year! Tradition dictates the Queen share bags of “Maundy Money” with as many subjects as she is old.
27. Do have sympathy for the Queen. For an hour a week, she is compelled to meet with the Prime Minister — twelve different power hungry personalities during her reign.
28. The Queen of England’s wedding gown was exquisite. Even so, like everyone else in Britain at the time, she needed to save her ration coupons to pay for it.
29. Although the paparazzi is a frustrating fact of life Her Majesty struggles with daily, she herself is an avid photographer.
30. When in England, be careful to pay homage to the swans. They all belong to Her Majesty, every last one of them. No wonder they are so cheeky.
31. When your image is on money and you rule the realm, there is no need for formalities. Queen Elizabeth has no passport, car registrations, or driver’s license.
32. Though 90 years old, Her Majesty is a modern woman. She does not carry her husband’s name.
33. Queen Elizabeth II is one brave woman who is calm under pressure. In 1982, she woke up one morning to find a stalker sitting at the edge of her bed. Her Majesty engaged the intruder in conversation about his family for ten minutes before a footman finally roused and seized the man.
34. Cymru am Byth! The Queen’s wedding ring is made from a nugget of Welsh gold. King Henry VII would be pleased.
35. The Queen is a busy woman! She is the patron of over 600 charitable organizations! Not only that, in 2015, she attended more official engagements than HRHs Prince Charles, Prince of Wales; Prince William, Duke of Cambridge; and Katherine, Duchess of Cambridge, combined!
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!
LONG MAY SHE REIGN!!